Calibra Model Guide
From Calibra Wiki - Vauxhall, Opel and Holden Information and Technical Resource
Stylish low-slung four-seater hatchback coupe based on the Cavalier. An impressive four-star performer with V6 or turbo power, though the 2.0 16v is cheaper to run and perfectly acceptable to most owners. Cavalier parts mean that service costs are not excessive. Not as fashionable now as in the early '90s, so prices are becoming more affordable. Rear headroom is a bit restricted for adults.
Check For Rattly camshaft; oil leaks; excessive brake pad wear; driveshaft leaks; occasional gear selector problems; heavy front tyre wear; suspension wear; smoky Turbo engine; possible `boy racer' abuse.
Services 9000 miles to '95; 10000 from Aug. '95.
- 01/06/90 Calibra front-drive 3-door Coupes launched: 2.0i 8v (115 bhp) and 2.0i 16v (150 bhp), with `cat', 5-speed gearbox (optional 4-speed automatic on 2.0i), PAS, independent suspension, ABS. Equipment: central locking, elec front windows, sunroof and mirrors,
- 01/06/90 Calibra frontdrive 3door Coupes launched: 2.0i 8v (115 bhp) and 2.0i 16v (150 bhp), with `cat', 5speed gearbox (optional 4speed automatic on 2.0i), PAS, independent suspension, ABS. Equipment: central locking, electric front windows/sunroof/ mirrors, sports seats, split rear seats, sixspeaker audio system and tinted glass. 2.0i 16v also has alloy wheels.
- 01/09/90 2.0i 16v 4x4 (150 bhp) launched in UK.
- 01/09/90 2.0i 16v 4x4 (150 bhp) launched with fulltime four wheel drive and equipment as 2.0i 16v.
- 01/10/91 All models have uprated stereo system with RDS radio. 2.0i 16v and 2.0i 16v 4x4 have multi-function trip computer.
- 01/10/91 Now has RDS radio/cassette with `faceoff' panel.
- 01/04/92 2.0 Turbo 4x4 (204 bhp) launched in UK with 6-speed gearbox, larger alloy wheels, uprated front brakes, leather trim.
- 01/10/92 All models now have side-impact protection beams and seat-belt tensioners. 2.0 16v has `low noise' engine. Optional driver's airbag available. Special 2.0i 8v `SE' (£15070) launched. Used and Trade values slightly higher than standard 2.0i 8v.
- 01/08/93 2.0i 8v now has standard alloy wheels. Turbo 4x4 now has front passenger airbag.
- 01/10/93 2.5i V6 (170 bhp) launched in UK with 5-speed or 4-speed automatic gearbox, traction control, ABS, alloy wheels, electric sunroof, passenger airbag, leather trim. Driver's airbag now standard on all models. Special yellow 2.0i 16v `SE2' (£18195) launched.
- 01/03/94 2.0i 16v now has 136 bhp ECOTEC-4 engine and optional 4-speed automatic transmission.
- 01/05/94 Special edition 2.0i 8v `SE3' (£15995) launched in UK. Used and Trade values slightly lower than 2.0i 8v.
- 01/09/94 All models have new `V'-style grille and redesigned fascia with white instrument dials.
- 01/10/94 All models now have engine deadlock immobiliser.
- 01/12/94 Special edition 2.0i 8v `SE4' launched in UK. New price £16995. Used and Trade values slightly higher than 2.0i 8v.
- 01/05/95 Special edition `DTM' models launched in UK. New prices: 2.0 16v £18855; Turbo 4x4 £23565; 2.5i V6 £21020. Used and Trade values approx. 7% higher than standard models.
- 01/09/95 Improved security: uprated alarm, locking wheel bolts.
- 01/10/95 Limited edition (of 400) 2.0i 8v `SE5' launched. New price £17975. Used/Trade values approx. 5% higher than 2.0i 8v.
- 01/05/96 Special edition 2.0i 8v `SE6' launched. New price £18500, Used/Trade values approx. 5% higher than 2.0i 8v.
- 01/09/96 Limited edition (of 51) 2.0i Turbo 4x4 Special (£27500). Used/Trade values approx. 15% higher than standard 4x4.
- 01/10/96 Special edition 2.0i 16v `SE7' launched. New price £18995. Used/Trade values slightly higher than standard 2.0i 16v.
- 01/12/96 Revisions: restyled alloy wheels on 2.0i 16v and 2.5 V6; standard air conditioning and trip computer on 2.5 V6.
- 01/04/97 Special edition 2.0i 16v `SE8' launched. New price £19585. Used/Trade values slightly higher than standard 2.0i 16v.
- 01/08/97 Special edition end-of-series 2.5i V6 `SE9' (£21495) launched. Used/Trade values slightly higher than standard 2.5i V6.